Nikwax TX.Direct Wash-In Treatment 300ml
The No.1 easy to use, safe, high performance wash in waterproofing for wet weather clothing. Adds Durable Water Repellency and revives breathability - in a washing machine.
Why breathability depends upon water repellency. Breathable waterproof garments are most likely to get sweaty and wet inside when used in damp or wet conditions. If the outer fabric absorbs water, the garment can lose up to 70% of its breathability. Therefore, the Durable Water Repellency (DWR) on the outer fabric of your jacket must be maintained to ensure comfort. It will eventually wear off and need to be renewed with Nikwax TX.Direct®.
- Waterproof clothing needs to be breathable. When we work hard, we sweat. The evaporation of sweat cools us down and keeps us comfortable. But, when it rains we want to avoid getting wet, so we put on waterproof outerwear to keep us dry. The waterproof fabric must allow moisture vapour to pass through it, or 'breathe'; otherwise our sweat cannot evaporate, causing us to overheat and get wet from condensation. Additionally, if the outer fabric of your garment absorbs water and ‘wets out’ its breathability will be reduced, causing you to feel clammy and wet. Nikwax TX.Direct® adds Durable Water Repellency (DWR), which prevents water absorption, whilst maintaining breathability, keeping you dry and comfortable.
- Breathable waterproof clothing is for active, outdoor people. Anyone who is active outside in damp or wet conditions will benefit from breathable waterproof clothing. Whether you’re a mountaineer, cyclist, dog walker, or you work outside as a farmer or surveyor, you will need good raingear.
Your raingear could be soaking up water just because it is dirty. First, try cleaning it with Nikwax Tech Wash®, and if it is fairly new, or recently re-waterproofed, the Durable Water Repellency (DWR) will be revitalized just from cleaning. But, once the garment has been thoroughly worn, you will need to add DWR, using Nikwax TX.Direct®, after cleaning first with Nikwax Tech Wash®.
- Breathable raingear needs Nikwax TX.Direct®to maintain performance. Alternative waterproofing products are often solvent-based aerosols; alternatively, they may be water-based and use fluorocarbons. Aerosol products are flammable. Fluorocarbons pose a potential risk to the environment and to the long-term health of the consumer. Nikwax TX.Direct® is a safe product to use on breathable waterproof fabrics. It is WaterBased, non-flammable, contains no volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and is fluorocarbon free. Nikwax TX.Direct® has been specifically designed and optimized for breathable waterproof clothing, providing Durable Water Repellency (DWR) while maintaining breathability. Nikwax TX.Direct® requires no heat to develop its DWR, so it is not necessary to use a tumble drier for best results. As garments with taped seams get older the tape adhesion weakens, becoming more fragile and susceptible to heat, so it is best to avoid tumble drying.
- Cleaning properly can be as important as waterproofing. Using the right cleaning product is as important as using the right waterproofing product. Conventional detergents leave behind a thin water-absorbent film on materials, which masks their Durable Water Repellency (DWR). Therefore, always clean your waterproof garments with Nikwax Tech Wash®. Remember that dirt itself works against DWR, so regular cleaning will enhance performance.
How Nikwax TX.Direct® Wash-In protects. Nikwax TX.Direct® Wash-In is the market leader. It is easy and quick to apply in a washing machine, and its highly Durable Water Repellency (DWR) develops on air drying. The washing machine application ensures that the treatment goes right through the garment, treating seams, tapes and cords, as well as the fabric. Also, as the need for tumble drying is removed, this saves energy and protects more vulnerable, older, garments from heat. Nikwax TX.Direct® Wash-In has been specifically designed and optimized for breathable waterproof garments; it leaves a flexible water repellent treatment on individual fibers allowing moisture vapour to pass through, maintaining breathability.
- Like all Nikwax products, TX.Direct® is safe to use. Nikwax takes great care to minimize the effect of Nikwax products on the environment and on you, the consumer. Nikwax waterproofing products are WaterBased, non-aerosol, non-flammable, non-hazardous and environmentally friendly. They contain no harmful solvents or volatile organic compounds (VOCs), and are completely free of fluorocarbons (which have been shown to be persistent in the environment and have been associated with serious health issues).
- People who use Nikwax TX.Direct®say that it does the job. Nikwax TX.Direct® is the product of choice of professional Outdoor trainers. To find out more about people who are using Nikwax TX.Direct®, and other Nikwax products, take a look at our testimonials page (coming soon).
Use Nikwax TX.Direct® Wash-In in a washing machine ... For best results remove all non-washable parts and always clean item(s) first with Nikwax Tech Wash® in a separate wash cycle. No need to dry item(s) before waterproofing.
Top Loading Machine Wash:
1. Place maximum of 3 clean garments in washing machine.
2. After the machine has filled add 10floz/300ml of TX.Direct®.
3. Set cycle to Heavy and Warm, Low water level.
Front Loading Machine Wash:
1. Remove all detergent build-up from the detergent dispenser.
2. Place maximum of 2 clean garments in washing machine.
3. Use 3floz/100ml per garment.
4. Run 30oC Synthetic cycle and slow spin.
To maintain waterproofing always wash with Nikwax Down Wash™. Do not use detergents.
Do not machine-wash garments if taped seams have become dislodged.* To maintain waterproofing always wash with Nikwax Tech Wash®. Do not use detergents.
*Faulty taped seams sometimes become detached on old or worn garments. They can be restuck using a proprietary clear glue after waterproofing and drying.
Nikwax TX.Direct® Wash-In can be applied by hand. Use gloves (to avoid waterproofing your hands!).
1. Immerse 1 clean garment in 6L of hand-hot water in a bowl or sink.
2. Add 2floz/50ml of TX.Direct®.
3. Agitate to mix, leave to soak for 5-10 minutes, then agitate thoroughly.
4. Rinse with cold water until water runs clear.
Nikwax TX.Direct® treated clothing needs no heat to develop Durable Water Repellency (DWR). Air dry or tumble dry on a low setting if care label allows.